Stretch marks are essentially scarring of the skin caused by tearing of its middle layers. This is most often caused by rapid stretching that which may fade over time, but are unlikely to disappear completely.
Although stretch marks are not a medical cause for concern, they can be unsightly and lead to embarrassment. As such, many people have a strong desire to seek treatment to rid themselves of them. Although there are a number of treatments for stretch marks, including laser removal, dermabrasion, and retinoid creams, these can be prohibitively expensive and are not altogether natural. Fortunately, there are also a number of home remedies for stretch marks, which can deal with the scars in a less aggressive manner. Let’s take a look at the best of those remedies now.
The Best Natural Remedies for Stretch Marks
- Olive oil – One of the most popular remedies for stretch marks is olive oil. Olive oil contains large amounts of vitamins A, K, and D, which can treat the discoloration associated with stretch marks. Effective use of olive in the treatment of stretch marks includes rubbing warm olive oil on the affected areas and consuming an appropriate quantity for your diet. In addition to aiding discoloration, olive oil will help moisturize your skin, thereby keeping it smooth and healthy.
- Aloe vera – Aloe vera is a versatile remedy for many ailments including stretch marks. It has natural healing properties that can help fade the discoloration caused by stretch marks. To use, apply the aloe vera gel directly to the affected area every morning. Allow it soak into the skin until it completely dries. Although it won’t completely get rid of stretch marks, it will help a great deal.
- Cocoa butter – Cocoa butter is used for a wide range of skin treatments including anti-wrinkling, anti-aging, and yes – stretch marks. Cocoa butter works by moisturizing your skin, increasing circulation, and improving its natural elasticity. To use the butter most effectively, apply to the affected area at least twice a day.
- Tea tree oil – Tea tree oil is a popular home remedy for a number of ailments due to its anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibiotic properties. It just so happens that tea tree oil is also an effective remedy for stretch marks and other scars. For the best results, apply tea tree oil to the affected areas every night. Although it has a strong medicinal smell, bear with it and you’ll see a noticeable difference in your stretch marks.
- Almond oil – You’re probably noticing a trend here – many natural oils are excellent at treating stretch marks. This is not only due to their moisturizing properties, which aids in skin elasticity, but also due to the nutrients they contain. Almond oil contains omega 3 fatty acids which are great for the skin, and applying it once or twice a day can do wonders for those unsightly marks.
- Exercise – Since stretch marks are caused by a rapid stretching of the skin, toning the underlying muscles through exercise can be a great way to get rid of (or at least minimize) the unsightly marks. The exercises you’ll need to do will depend on the area of your body the stretch marks are located. For example, if your stretch marks are located on your stomach, consider a regimen of abs toning exercises such as sit-ups and crunches. The more toned your muscles become, the more noticeably your stretch marks will fade.
Stretch marks can be unsightly and embarrassing. Fortunately, by using one (or a few) of the home remedies listed above, you’ll be well on your way to minimizing the sight of stretch marks for good. Just remember, these treatments won’t result in a rapid removal – prolonged use is the key to successful treatment.