Hemorrhoids are a painful condition which occurs in and around the anus. Although hemorrhoids are natural structures, they can become pathological through swelling and inflammation. They may also be characterized by anal bleeding itchiness.
Although there are a number of medicinal and surgical treatments available for hemorrhoids, many people may wish to avoid the cost and inconveniences associated with such cures and rather opt for home remedies. Fortunately, there are a number of effective home remedies for hemorrhoids. Let’s take a look at some of the more effective ones.
The Best Natural Remedies for Hemorrhoids
- Ice – One of the simplest home remedies for hemorrhoids is ice. Ice works in two ways to fight hemorrhoids. First, it numbs the area thereby easing any associated pain you may be feeling. Second, it stops the blood from to the hemorrhoids which helps to shrink them. To use this treatment, simply crush ice cubes and place them in a zip-lock bag. Cover the bag with a paper towel and then apply to the affected region.
- Water – Often, the simplest treatments are the most effective. Water is a great remedy for many ailments that many people often overlook (and don’t consume enough of). Water helps fight hemorrhoids by aiding in the digestive process. Essentially it assists in moving any blocked areas of your digestive tract which is one of the primary causes of hemorrhoids. For effective treatment, begin drinking at least eight glasses of water a day. Not only will it help with hemorrhoids but it will provide many other health benefits.
- Aloe vera – Aloe vera is one of the most versatile home remedies since it is effective in the treatment of many inflammatory ailments. In order to treat hemorrhoids with aloe vera, break off a piece and apply the gel to the affected area. It will act quickly to reduce inflammation and the pain associated with it.
- Dietary fiber – Hemorrhoids are often caused by difficulty passing hard stools. As such, diet plays an important role in preventing hemorrhoids in the first place. By eating more food containing large amounts of fiber you’ll effectively soften your stool which will allow for more natural excretion. This will go a long way in curing your hemorrhoids and ensuring they don’t return. High fiber foods you may find effective include fruits (including dried fruits), whole grains, and beans.
- Apple cider vinegar – Another one of the versatile home remedies for hemorrhoids is apple cider vinegar. When small dabs of apple cider vinegar are applied to the affected area, you’ll notice a cessation if the itching and burning associated with hemorrhoids. In addition, the vinegar will assist in shrinking the inflamed blood vessels. To apply, simple dip a ball of cotton into the apple cider vinegar and gently spread on the problem area.
- Potatoes – Potatoes contain natural astringent properties which aid in the shrinking and constriction of body tissues (including hemorrhoids). Here’s how to apply potatoes to the affected area: First, cut two washed potatoes into chunks and run them through a food processor until they form a liquid paste (you may need to add some water). Next, apply the paste to gauze and apply directly to the hemorrhoids. Leave this there for five to ten minutes and then clean the area. It may seem like an odd choice, but it works!
You don’t have to suffer from hemorrhoids or go through the embarrassment of purchasing traditional medications. There are a number of great home remedies for hemorrhoids that you likely have at your house already. Although many of them may seem odd, give them a shot. You might be surprised at just how effective they are.