Acne scars are caused by inflammation associated with acne. There are a number of forms of scars including ice pick scars, box car scars, rolling scars, and hypertrophic scars, and all of them have different appearances on the skin.
Although these scars are not dangerous, many people find them extremely unsightly and they can lead to embarrassment. While there are a number of products on the market that claim to heal acne scars, they are often quite expensive and almost always derived from unnatural products. Fortunately, there are a number of home remedies for these scars that are just as, if not more, effective than specialty products. Let’s take a look at the best of them now.
The Best Natural Remedies for Acne Scars
- Water – Water is one of the most effective remedies for any ailment involving the skin, including acne scars. In addition to keeping your skin hydrated, water greatly aids in the removal of toxins and helps in the building of new skin cells. As such, to help in the repair of skin damage caused by acne, drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Not only will this help with your skin, but it will also provide you with many other health benefits.
- Olive oil – When it comes to skin conditions, olive oil is one of the most versatile substances on Earth and it contains a number of beneficial properties that helps keep your skin looking great. First, olive oil acts as a natural moisturizer which helps maintain the elasticity of your skin. Second, olive oil contains a number of antioxidants that aid in skin repair. For the most effective treatment against acne scars, massage olive oil directly to the affected areas once a day (this will also help prevent against future breakouts!)
- Baking soda – Another one of the most effective remedies for acne scars is baking soda. Although baking soda can be purchased as a microdermabrasion treatment in cosmetics departments, plain old baking soda will work just as effectively. Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of purified water and rub it directly into the affected area for one minute, then rinse. This will remove any dead or damaged skin and aid in the collagen production which will aid in cellular renewal.
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice is an extremely beneficial cure for acne scars due to its ability to greatly reduce the discoloration associated with them. To use, apply lemon juice directly to your acne scars using a cotton ball once a day. Following this, apply a natural moisturizer such as olive oil to further aid the skin’s renewal process. Although the effectiveness of lemon juice will depend on the type of acne scars you have, you should see a noticeable improvement with continued use.
- Cucumber juice – One of the best natural remedies for acne scars, and which is also used in a wide variety of skin treatments, is cucumber juice. Cucumber juice is a natural astringent which helps open the pores on your face. This allows for the easy removal of the dirt and oils that cause acne. In addition, cucumber juice has natural anti-inflammatory properties that cool the skin and can help reduce the redness associated with acne scars. To take advantage of these healing properties, simply grate or juice a skinned cucumber and apply to the skin using a cotton ball. Continue this regimen once a day to see a noticeable difference in your skin’s health.
Acne can be one of the most unsightly skin conditions, and sadly it often leaves scars long after the acne itself has gone. Fortunately, there are a number of remedies for acne scars that can effectively treat and promote the renewal of scarred and damaged skin. By taking advantage of the home remedies listed above, you’ll see a positive change in the look and feel of your skin.