Acid reflux, also known as gastro-esophageal reflux diseases (GERD), is caused by the process of acid moving from the stomach to the esophagus. It is characterized by symptoms such as heartburn, regurgitation, and trouble swallowing. It can be extremely uncomfortable and even painful. As such, treatment is often a first priority for sufferers.
However, although there are a number of medications on the market to treat acid reflux, many individuals prefer home remedies due to the naturalness of the treatments. Indeed, home remedies for acid reflux can be just as effective as the expensive drugs one might find at a drugstore. Let’s take a look at some of the more popular home remedies for acid reflux that work.
The Best Natural Remedies for Acid Reflux
- Baking soda – One of the most popular fast-acting treatments for acid reflux is baking soda. It’s a simple treatment to use and many people have it on hand. Simply mix one tablespoon with a cup of water and then stir. Be sure to drink the mixture prior to the cessation of fizzing. Although this can be an effective treatment, it’s important to note that if you suffer from high blood pressure then it’s best to avoid consuming baking soda.
- Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is perhaps one of the most effective home remedies for acid reflux. This is due to the calming effect it has on the stomach and its ability to aid in digestion. For chronic sufferers of acid reflux, consume a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with water at each meal. You can also use this remedy for acute acid reflux. If you want a treatment that works quickly, apple cider vinegar is one of the best.
- Licorice – Another effective home remedy to treat acid reflux is herbal licorice. Licorice works by coating the stomach in a protective layer. If you decide to try this feature, be sure to purchase the herbal root rather than the candy. It can be purchased at almost any health food store and is great treatment for gout when consumed as a tea.
- Ginger root – Ginger root is an effective home treatment for many ailments and acid reflux is one of them. Ginger root absorbs excess stomach acid which can worsen acid reflux symptoms. As with many of the home remedies for acid reflux on this list, ginger root can be obtained from most natural health food stores. It can be purchased as a tea, candy, or capsule and will be most effective if consumed immediately following a meal.
- Herbal tea – As mentioned, ginger root in the form of a tea is an effective treatment against acid reflux. If you’re a tea drinker, you may want to try a mixed herbal tea. Include anise, caraway, fennel seed, dill and chamomile (in addition to ginger) in your tea for treatment of acid reflux. As you may not appreciate all of these flavors, feel free to choose the ones you like. Each of these herbs has properties that will effectively combat symptoms of acid reflux.
- Aloe vera juice – Aloe vera is a popular treatment for many ailments such as diarrhea, inflammation of the bowls and upset stomach. As such, it should be no surprise that it’s a great home remedy for acid reflux as it aids in digestion. When you feel the onset of acid reflux symptoms, consume an ounce of aloe vera juice mixed with two ounces of water.
Over the centuries many treatments have been found for common ailments such as acid reflux and natural remedies are becoming more popular today for a variety of reasons. For effective treatment of acid reflux, try any of the aforementioned home remedies. Although some of these remedies may work better for others, try out a few and eventually you’ll find one that’s right for you.